Real Community Church successfully launched on September 8th in Lee’s Summit. Pastor Shannon, recently of Grace Church, is working to bring together a community of Christians who value God/Jesus/Holy Spirit, and seek His word through scripture. Today’s message is about how the Power of the Tongue can impact ourselves and our community. Jesus said, “The words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life” [John 6:63].
Pastor Shannon reminds us to curb our tongue and consider our words before speaking. Consider how the content of our words impacts our daily lives. Do we intend to say harmful, derogatory words to or about others? Do we want to project an image of ourselves as an unkind and thoughtless person? Or should we step back and give some intensive thought to the way the words that we speak affect those around us.[James 3:5-6]
At Real Community Church, as children of God, we speak His words and cite scripture, because the Word of God is life. We could all learn to control our words by studying and accepting God’s written word – scripture. There is a message to be found in this scripture – for everyone. ‘In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.’ [John 1:1]
When we use our words in a derogatory way, we create disharmony in others. Our words are more powerful than bullets. But what we speak does not have to be destructive or harmful. Consider this:
- With our words we enter into the covenant of marriage.
- With our words we make friends.
- With our words we succeed at our jobs.
- With our words we fulfill the great commission.
- With our words we receive the gift of salvation.
While we may never achieve perfect control over our tongues, if we would apply the words found in James 3:5-6 (NASB) and Ephesians 4:29 NASB , we could learn, and bring about profound change in all of our relationships.
Have you ever wondered what our homes, schools and churches would be like if we used words that are uplifting, teaching, praising and positive – words used with Christian intentions? The words we speak can carry immeasurable significance. In the beginning God spoke “Let their be light..and there was light” [Genesis 1:3] and by His word it was done. Jesus spoke and healed and cast out demons with words; leaders of nations have gained status and control, or failure, by their words. We as Christians have worshiped with words through songs, our confessions, and preaching the gospel. In today’s age of technology, politics, education, business, and relationships, all are centered on the use of words.
Words are a powerful force – for good or evil – we would all be wise to harness our tongues. [James 3:7-8]
At Real Community Church we believe:
- In one true eternal God, who is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent, and who is manifest in three eternal Persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- Jesus Christ is the eternal God in human form, conceived by the Holy Spirit in the womb of a virgin named Mary. We believe Jesus lived a sinless life, died to pay for all sins, rose again the third day, and ascended to heaven.
- The Holy Spirit is the eternal God, indwelling and sealing the believer at the moment of salvation. We believe the Holy Spirit teaches the believer God’s Word, transforms them into the image of Christ, and gives spiritual gifts to be used according to Scripture to glorify God.
- All Scripture was given by verbal, complete, and inerrant inspiration of God and is our final authority for all matters of faith and practice.
We’re busy preparing, practicing, and praying…for YOU! Join us at Real Community Church in Lee’s Summit on Sept. 8th and 9th! Service times will be Saturday at 4:00 pm, and Sunday morning at 8:30 am.